Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 27 November 2019

Sewing Chat

Hi Everyone 
I have a little sewing discussion today. This story is all about petticoats. I’ve had an idea to make a simple petticoat/ dress designed to wear underneath some of my skirts and dresses. The idea is to turn a very lightweight Summer garment into something I can wear all year. Wearing petticoats has been around for centuries (fourteenth onwards ) and has had a role in fashion throughout history. Mostly, there is a very practical reason for the petticoat and my application is a practical one.
My purpose for a petticoat is very simple, it’s about layering for warmth. I have lots of navy/blue/green dresses and a couple of skirts which would work well with a reasonably full skirted petticoat. With this in mind, I’ve purchased some navy brushed cotton fabric for the job.

                

I think, my idea (I’m still thinking) is to produce something which could be called a full slip or chemise or petticoat. All terms are interchangeable in my chat. Historically the slip was a garment which would be regularly washed and worn underneath dresses, lots of dresses which need a slip these days are usually lined - often making the slip redundant. However, I do like the idea of layering for warmth and a slip or lined dress or skirt often hangs well, if there is a slip underneath. 
I thought, I could make my full slip with the view to having a little bit of the slip visible (a few centimetres only) below the outer garment. I also thought the underskirt could give my skirts and dresses a fuller look. 
Having bought my fabric, it’s a lovely navy brushed cotton, I’m now not sure the plan will work ! It would be fine for one or two dresses but most of the targeted garments in my wardrobe (ie for the full slip treatment) are quite close fitting and will probably be too tight on top of the full slip (made in this fabric). So, my plan is to acquire a different smooth, Lycra fabric for the slip and make something much more body hugging. The initial idea, for keeping warm, is still at the top of my list. The lovely navy brushed cotton is now up for an actual sleeveless, layering dress or a skirt. Watch this space for more on my plan. I have some decisions to make.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment