Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 5 November 2019

New Mittens

Hi Everyone 
I mentioned knitting mittens while on my mini holiday last week, here is a quick look at the finished items.

               

I was inspired by the Azzurite Mittens pattern designed by Sonja Bargielowska for Blacker Yarns. I knitted the original pattern, last year, which includes a simple colourwork design. You can check out the design here.
I especially like the cuff construction and also wanted to include some colour contrast in my design. I’ve chosen to use a number of stripes, this is a very simple way of using colour and works well with the mittens. I have a pearl row either side of two knitted contrast colours. Both of the yarns used are from Blacker, Swan and Gotland DK.
The pattern design is straightforward but I’ve changed the size, a little. I felt my original Azzurite Mittens didn’t fit very well and as a result they were not that warm to wear. This time, I’ve reduced the width of the mittens and lengthened the thumb, only slightly. The finished items are a snug fit and feel as if they will be warmer.
I started these mittens (around this time) last year and had completed only one mitten. The project sat in a project bag and I’d almost forgotten about them. When I took the first mitten out of the bag, the quality of the work was dreadful. So, I’ve re knitted both mittens (some parts) several times, and have definitely improved the quality of the finished mittens. The weather is staring to get cold and I’ll be wearing my new mittens today.
This project has been part of my aim to complete all my unfinished Making projects. It’s one down, lots to go !

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment