Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 20 November 2019

Bag Making Project

Hi Everyone 
I have a new project in the planning stage. This time it’s all about bag making, leather bags ! I’ve been thinking about the idea for quite some time but finally, I’ve found a local leather supplier and I’m inspired to put my ideas into action.
I’m still researching ideas but am convinced I need a simple design - which I can handle. I’ve found inspiration from Pinterest and have put a little photo story together which illustrates the designs I have in mind. Check out my Pinterest board for the details of the samples here.

My leather skills are non existent so I need a very simple process. The first ideas will follow previous bag construction methods. I’ll line my bag with a complimentary cotton fabric and am hoping my old sewing machine will cope with the soft leather fabric.


               

The leather Im using is a dark grey colour, ideally I would have liked red but couldn’t find a red leather. I like the grey so will probably use a red cotton lining as a compromise. I’d like my bag to be a handbag size. I’m going for short handles and a boxy type shape.
My next move is to make a paper pattern and test out the size with a toile (a test version) in calico. I’ll also check out my machine on the leather and check how many layers the machine can cope with.

I’ll be sharing my leather bag developments over the next few weeks. Call in to check my progress.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment