Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 20 December 2019

Woodbine Cowl Project

Hi Everyone 
The Woodbine Cowl is my new name for the crochet cowl I started a few weeks ago. Read about my original crochet idea here. Sadly, the crochet version didn’t quite work out. I managed to crochet the pattern beautifully, a first for me re a completed crochet garment ! However, the characteristics of the yarn didn’t quite work with the lace pattern. I made the yarn myself, so this is a very special project. The crochet shell pattern was totally lost because of the mohair and fluffy yarn, all the pattern spaces were filled and the finished cowl was a bit stiff to wear. I knew I wouldn’t wear my cowl so it was back to the drawing board.

                
My next plan was to keep some of the crochet lines especially the shell patterns and knit a looser more pliable stocking stitch, in between. This was better but still didn’t work. The resulting cowl didn’t lie flat and there was still no drape at all. Generally, uncomfortable to wear.
My solution is to abandon the crochet idea and knit a lace panel design from my Woodbine Sweater design. You can see and read about my Woodbine Sweater by Fiona Alice here. The sweater has been very successful and my plan was to wear the cowl with the Woodbine Sweater, so all is well ! I’m hopeful I can knit the cowl quite quickly and wear both together over the next few weeks. I’ll knit a lace panel and join with a three needle bind off. I’ll take photos to share here on the blog.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back on Monday with more Making stories. Have a great weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment