Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 15 January 2020

New Knit Project

Hi Everyone 
I have a new sweater project underway. This knit is called the tarasgeir by Flora Kennedy in collaboration with Uistwool. I’m using Wensleydale Longwool yarn in shade 401 which is a beautiful natural white colour.

               

The sweater is knitted flat and is simple in style. The bottom hem and sections of the sleeves have a short lace section and the sleeves are ribbed for around a half of the length. I love the design and originally saw the design knitted up at Edinburgh Yarn Festival last year. It’s a design that’s been on my to knit list ever since.
Although, I did intend to knit the pattern as written, I seem to have gone off on my own journey. This is not unusual for me. I do have a compelling reason for changing things but I’m still wondering if I’ve done the right thing. I’m sure a more sensible approach would be to knit the sweater as per the pattern and then knit a second with my own alterations. However, that said, I’ve changed the fit of the sleeves. I’ve done this because, I think, I’d like to wear the sweater as a layering garment and don’t want a fitted sleeve. My alteration involves a dropped, straight sleeve fitting. My sleeve will be exactly the same half sleeve (from the cuff) with a wider, roomy shape at the underarm point down to the elbow. I’m hoping the sweater will remain balanced and work with my changes. I especially like the simple lace elements and the neck which a I will hope to retain. in addition, I’ve made a size larger than my body measurements, to allow for a boxy, cropped shape.
I’m using a beautiful yarn called Wensleydale Longwool. The yarn is lovely to knit and has a wonderful lustre. The colour is a cream shade and works very well for this pattern. This is the first time I’ve used this yarn and I’m already thinking about using the yarn for another sweater.
I’m making good progress with this project and have almost completed the back. My usual approach is to knit in the round and I tend to shy away from flat knitting in separate pieces but I’m quite enjoying this knit. I have slight anxieties about sewing up seams in a neat fashion ! 
I’m still using a flexible needle which fits my style of knitting, so it’s a comfortable knit. My plan is to complete the back and knit the front, I’ll then attach at the shoulders. I’ll knit the sleeves and attach both to the shoulder seams. I’ll then stitch the sides and sleeve in one seam. The neckline will be the last job. If all works out as planned, my sweater will be ready to wear. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment