Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 21 January 2020

Sewing Project

Hi Everyone 
I have a new sewing project - a pair of jeans. I’m making a second pair of Morgan Jeans by Closet Case. This time, I have some lovely green denim from Merchant&Mills.

             

My denim was a Christmas gift but I’ve yet to get started with my jeans, it’s less than a month (just) but I still feel I need to get going with my jeans. I need to wash the denim today and that will get me underway. I’ll be able to find some lining fabric for the pockets and waistband from stash but will need acquire a suitable zip and I’ll be ready to start. 

My previous Morgan Jeans and the pattern use metal buttons for the fly but Closet Case do a great tutorial on the zip method and I’m keen to give that a go. The denim fabric is a lovely deep green colour and will be something different for my handmade wardrobe. 

My first jeans are a good fit so I’m reasonably confident this next pair will be OK too. Although, making jeans seems to be a tricky thing to make, I think it’s quite straightforward (famous last words) ! and very satisfying. The only intimidating bit for me is the fit rather than the construction approach, in particular, at the waist. Last time, after cutting out the fabric pieces, I basted all the upper waist/hip bits together for the fitting and this solved all fitting issues. Basting is a temporary straight stitch used to hold layers together, as it’s a long and loose stitch - it is easily removed after the final stitching is in place. If the fitting is not good, individual pieces can be altered. It’s possible to recut as well as decide on a new seam line for each of the pieces. Closet Case have lots of brilliant tutorials on their website to help with making and fitting jeans, check out all the tutorials here.

I’ll share progress with my jeans as I have something to show, here on the blog. In particular, I’m hoping to talk about the fitting and any alterations I make
Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment