Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday, 12 September 2016

Presenting new socks

Hi Everyone
Today, I'm sharing my latest sock make. Last Monday, I delivered the bad news that I'd run out of my lovely hand painted yarn (read back for more on this) while making my latest pair of socks. My solution was to use a constrasting yarn for the toe part of the socks but I couldn't decide on the colour to use. Eventually, I came up with a lovely ginger/burnt orange colour. Having added a toe to each sock (had to undue one first !! ) with the ginger colour , I felt the sock needed a bit more ginger elsewhere on the sock to balance the design. I tried a few ideas and settled upon a few stripes for the leg of each sock.

                                

I love the effect of the ginger and the green colours together. I've used something called Swiss Darning or Duplicate Stitch to make the stripes. It's a very easy way of adding surface design to knitting - look it up if it's new to you.
Generally, I'm really pleased with how the socks have turned out and think the contrasting yarn adds to the design. I bought the yarn while on holiday, staying at a place called Dirlton, so I've called this design the Dirlton Sock. I will think of our holiday each time I wear the socks.
Thanks for calling in
Bye for now.