Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 26 March 2019

Fabric Design

Hi Everyone
Last week, I shared a project (in the design stage) for a frame Purse bag check it out here. I had experimented with paper surface patterns and have developed some of the ideas into actual fabric. I’ve produced a couple of pieces of fabric. Each design is inspired by my random experiments and I’m ready to make up my little bags/purses. I have my pattern outline and will position the fabric to give an interesting design to the bag/purse.

                    



I have two different styles created around colours. The blue version is all about travel and has a central idea of the sea. I have included small printed images of fish and travelling related items. The use of colour and the application style gives an impression of the sea and perhaps, an island coastline. I’ll position the pattern to find an interesting view of my fabric. The other fabric is bright oranges, lemon and purple colours. There are printed flowers and a calendar print. Again, I’ll prepare my pattern to accommodate an interesting view of the fabric. 
I’m also keen to add elements of embroidery to my fabric. My plan is to pick out areas where embroidery can add dimension and interest to the purse. There’s also an option to add beads and other embellishments. 

I’ll cut out the bag/purse pattern on the fabric and some iron on interfacing. I’m also considering adding a padded layer and possibly an element of abstract quilting. I am drawn to the Boro or Shashiko embroidery and quite like the idea of adding small sections of these techniques. Here’s a quick explanation of Shashiko (here) and Boro (here). I have my pattern prepared and have chosen a frame for the orange fabric (see my photo story).

I’ll share my experiments over the next week or so. This project will feature in one of our local workshops soon, so there will be lots of other examples to share.

Thanks for calling in today.



No comments:

Post a Comment