Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 13 March 2019

Re Fit Required

Hi Everyone 

Last week, I started sewing my latest project - the Roberts Collection, Pinafore Dress. You can read about my introduction to the project here. The pattern and the construction have gone well. I’ve changed a few things and have altered the size a few times. However, having attached the lining and almost finished my dress, I need a re fit.

                  

The final dress fit is not quite right for me. I had already made a short body adjustment and altered the placket closure on the waistline and considerably shortened the shoulder straps. The dress is still much to big. 
The basic pattern has a generous amount of positive ease as a design feature, which I like but the fit is still much to big. I did all the standard body and finished garment measurements, so I’m not sure why my dress is quite as roomy around the middle ? The problem made itself clear last Friday.  I’ve left my dress for a few days - mainly to get over the disappointment but also to come up with a plan. I’ve been through the idea of completely unpicking all the seams and re cutting the fabric pieces to trying a smaller waistline recut to bring in the waist by around 6-8 cms.
Having considered the shape of the dress and the possibility of re fitting the lining, I’m going for the later option. I’ll unpick the side seams to the pocket point, recut the back and lining and try to reconstruct the sides. If that doesn’t work, I’ll unpick the whole dress, recut all the pieces and go down a few pattern sizes.
I’m hoping to give some time to my project today. I’ll let you know how things go and share any progress tomorrow. Despite all the issues, I do love the dress design, the denim fabric and the lining. I  see the finished garment having a valued place in my wardrobe- when I’ve fixed the problems ! 

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment