Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 14 March 2019

Re Fit (2)

Hi Everyone 
Following yesterday’s news about my Roberts Collection Pinafore Dress re fit, I’ve managed to undo the overlocked side stitching ready for re cutting the back of the dress. Undoing the seams took quite some time. I wanted to keep a neat fabric edge, so it was a ‘stitch by stitch’ process. Patience is necessary for this job. However, I’m there, the back is ready for recutting and re fitting. 

                     

You can see (from my photo story) the back of the dress, separated from the front. I had hoped, I could refashion the side seam (bottom right photo) to get my refit. I pinned and tacked this small section and refitted the dress on myself. No good. The difference between the top of the dress back and the hip point was too great. The result was an unacceptable wing on the side of the dress, around the bottom of the pocket opening. The only option was to undo the whole seam and recut the back of the dress. So, that’s were I am at the moment. My hope is to make some time today, to get the dress together again. Hopefully, the next time you see my dress - I will be wearing it. 
I’m planning on making another dress using the Roberts Collection pattern. I hope to use the top (view D) and add a simple (slightly) gathered skirt with pockets, as per the Pinafore Dress pockets. So, making the Pinafore Dress has been a useful gauge of the pattern sizing. I clearly, need to re think how I can make a better judgement about which size I need. The whole Collection is an oversized range of garments and I was aware of that from the beginning. However, despite measuring both myself and the finished garment size, I seriously overestimated the right size for me. I probably need to go down, two sizes. I’m in a better position to understand the key measurements from the pattern pieces and make a better job next time.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment