Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Pinafore Dress Update

Hi Everyone
I’ve finally remade my Marilla Walker Pinafore Dress. My dress is almost ready to wear. I just need to finish the hem, it’s tacked and ready for stitching. My plan is to use a twin stitch around the bottom of the dress. Having decided on that idea, it maybe necessary to add a second top stitch feature around the bib, arms and back ! Not sure at this point.

                 


I do like the finished fit of the dress, although, initially I had an idea of a more baggy look. The fit issue resulted from cutting a larger than necessary size in the first place ! Not sure how that happened ? I had thought I had checked all the measurements, several times. 

My first attempts at fitting my dress didn’t quite work (read about it here and here )and I eventually, adapted the fit by recutting the whole of the back dress piece. I used this solution because I’d completed the front of the dress which included the pocket sections and had already added the bib. In addition to the sizing issue, I think my choice of fabric, a stretch denim jersey, needed a more snug fit. Perhaps, the baggy fit I wanted, wouldn’t have worked even if I’d got the size right ? A lighter cotton or linen fabric would probably work better.

Generally, I like my dress. It’s very comfortable and I think I’ll get lots of wear from it. At the moment, the skirt is quite long, well below my knee. The longer length feels right. I’ll go with that length and if it doesn’t work, I’ll take it up. I’m definitely going to make a second dress in a linen fabric and will aim for that baggy look with a shorter skirt.

Looking back, I feel this Make has caused me lots of problems. Essentially, the design is a very simple one and should have been a quick and straightforward construction. It seems, I’ve taken forever to get the dress made ! However, I still like the pattern and have immediately forgotten all the issues. I’ll definitely be making all the pieces in The Roberts Collection.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment