Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 25 March 2019

Nightdress Sewing

Hi Everyone
I’m almost finished my second nightwear project and this time it’s a nightdress. I had intended to make another pair of pyjamas (see here for the first pair) but failed to buy enough fabric. My plan B was to make the nightdress option on Butterick B5792. The top of the pyjamas is exactly the same design as the nightdress but obviously, the nightdress is longer. I made the nightdress as long as the fabric would allow and it’s probably around mid calf length. I need to find some kind of embellishment for the centre neck position. I’m currently thinking, small buttons would be good. The previous pyjamas have a small fabric bow and a button. I think a series of buttons which follow the pleats would be good. I’ll give this idea a go

                 

The fabric is a pretty cotton flower print and quite similar to my previous pyjamas. I’m almost finished the nightdress. I need to add a second length of bias binding to the right armhole and top stitch both armholes and the neckline. Then it’s the hem. 
This Make is very simple, however, I managed to mess up the machine gathering stage several times. My mistake was trying to gather too close to the edge as well as making my machine gathering stitches too close together. This results in the fabric bunching and sticking together. It simply will not gather. Having moved the gather stitches 1cm from the edge and the stitch lines 4mm apart, no problems at all. Live and learn ! The mistake wasted about an hour or so and stopped me from finishing my nightdress yesterday. However, all is well and I’ll complete my nightdress this morning and hopefully be wearing it, tonight.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment