Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 29 March 2019

Pattern Book

Hi Everyone 
I’m sharing a lovely birthday gift today. The Merchant&Mills Workbook. It’s something I’ve  been looking at for several years now. To my surprise, the book has turned up and it’s just as good as I’d imagined. I first came across the book while visiting the Merchant&Mills web site. I found a great video featuring the book and often think about it. You can check out the video here yourself.

I love all things Merchant&Mills and this book sums up why I am so drawn to their style. Everything about the book is beautiful. The craft paper cover, the little cord closure on the pattern section, all the photographs and hand drawn sewing instructions etc. The designs work wonderfully together and I will be using the whole Collection as the basis for my Summer capsule handmade wardrobe. My plan is to make all the designs and make them in 
fabrics which will work well together.

               

I will be starting with the Saltmarsh Skirt. I’ve been thinking about what fabric I need to use and am undecided ! My initial thought was a navy linen look fabric. Linen look rather than linen because of the creasing. I like the idea of true linen but the practicalities of a linen skirt is something, I know, I won’t be able to deal with. I need to find a fabric which has some interesting surface qualities, either subtle blue combinations and/or textures - I will know when I see it ! The Merchant&Mills online shop seems the obvious place to look. So, that’s where I will start. 

The Workbook has six patterns. All the garments are quite simple in design and lend themselves to all kinds of little detail changes. I’m hoping to spend time thinking and planning to bring my Collection together over the next few weeks. I’ll be sharing the development of my plans for making the Workbook garments as they become a reality. It’s all very exciting.

Thanks for calling in today. Have a lovely weekend. I’ll be back on Monday with more Making news.


No comments:

Post a Comment