Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 9 October 2019

Spinning Talk

Hi Everyone 
I’m still consumed with spinning for my Woodbine Sweater (design by Fiona Alice). Check out my daily blogs from this week to read more about the project. The project is moving at a pace !  I seem to be slightly more productive re my spinning speed this week. Usually, spinning for a sweater tends to be overwhelming. However, this time everything has gone to plan and I’ve managed the spin well. I think the key is breaking down the project into manageable chunks.

             

I have all the fibre spun and on bobbins. I’ve also wound my dyed yarn (from yesterday) onto bobbins, ready for plying with the hand spun. The photo top left has the hand spun on the right and the dyed yarn on the left. Plying in this way is a new idea for me and I wasn’t totally convinced it would work. Fortunately, I think all is well. I’ve plyed a bobbins full of yarn and wound it onto the niddy noddy (photo bottom right). The colours are working well together and I’m pleased with the resulting, quite dark navy yarn.
I'm also quite pleased with the quantity of yarn I have. I was a little unsure about the finished yardage and did wonder how I could plan any shortfall. Im now hopeful that I’ll have enough to complete my sweater. There is an option to use some of the other yarn I developed for the central section (see this yarn here and here. My preference is to have plain sleeves but if I run out of yarn, I could knit the lace section of the sleeves (as per the pattern- check an image of the pattern here showing the lace section on the sleeves).
Today’s job is to complete the plying. I’ll leave the yarn on the niddy noddy overnight and soak it tomorrow. The yarn will take a day or so, to thoroughly dry. I can probably begin knitting the sides and sleeves by the weekend.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment