Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 16 March 2017

Spinning Story

Hi Everyone
My Edinburgh story today is all about spinning (read back this week for more on Edinburgh). I'm sharing another item from my Festival 'haul'. This lovely plait of fibres found itself jumping into my shopping bag. I'd decided to look for some unusual spinning material (unusual to me) before setting out on Saturday. I love this colour combination. The fibres are 60% Merino and 40% Flax - the colour way is called Scarab. I visited the porpoisefur booth several times before finally deciding. All the dyed, plaited fibres they were selling could have been chosen  - they were all beautiful.

I'm curious to see how the yarn spins and then, how it knits up. My plait weighs 56gms, so it's quite a small quantity and I've been pondering what to do with the resulting yarn ? I've been thinking about this for a few days now and waiting for the 'yarn to be' to tell me what to do. I'm almost decided to add some other Merino mix yarn in a contrasting colour for a cardigan - probably a denim blue colour. I'm thinking, I can use the Scarab for contrast blocks in the cardigan. I would like to knit a top down pattern - with the Scarab forming the yoke part and possibly an element of the arms. I think 3/4 arm length would be good. At this stage, I'm still deciding on the pattern - I've seen many but can't quite make the decision. 

 

I want to find the right pattern before spinning so I can spin to the specification of the yarn. I think, I'm probably going for a light dk weight.

I will keep looking for the pattern but can't  wait to spin the Scarab. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment