Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 24 August 2018

Project Update

Hi Everyone 
Over the last few weeks, I’ve started quite a few new projects and thought I would share my progress in a couple of them. My first example is a Bead Weaving project. I’d started making a bracelet with some new bead looms and was waiting for a new clasp to arrive. I’d designed the bracelet to be a particular width (which translates into a number beads wide). However, when the clasp arrived, it was clear that the width was wrong ! - probably, one bead too many. The only course of action was to undo the whole thing and start again. I’ve used the same beads and pattern design and have taken the opportunity to produce a better quality (stitching) item. Here’s a quick look at the progress :

           

I need to stitch in the loose thread ends and weave the beaded ends around the clasp bars. It’s a very simple design and I really like it. I’ve identified some more beads to make another. Next time, the beads are much smaller. I’m hoping to develop a striped design. More next week on this.

My next project is the jeans alteration, I mentioned yesterday. Look back to the post for background. All has gone to plan and I’m super happy with the fit. I’ve gone for a slightly loose finish (fit) to the jeans. I’ve followed my own suggestion of a great tutorial I found - re getting rid of the gaping waist at the back of jeans. Check the tutorial here. First, I took a wedge of fabric away from the back seam. Lots of seam undoing and fitting of the jeans required. 

            


I tried on the jeans lots of times and felt a ‘tight hip cut’ would not suit the whole design cut of the jeans. All the new seams are working well and I could easily have finished. However, rookie error !! - I didn’t have the right colour thread for top stitching. I’ve ordered the thread but will have to wait until it arrives. I don’t have an overlocker machine so needed to improvise with my very basic sewing machine. I’m happy with job so far. More on the finished (I hope) project next week.

Thanks for calling in today. That’s it for this week. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment