Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 4 September 2018

Arabella’s Other Dress : Update #4

Hi Everyone 
At last, I’m almost done with making my dress. This dress, Arabella’s Other Dress, is part of my Summer Project for this year. Sadly, I’m very late in delivering and my Summer is over ! I’m not sure why or what I’ve been doing but the time has just flown by ? I’ve had a lovely Summer. I love the dress. It’s a great fit for me and I feel quite ‘dressed up’ in it ! It’s a strange thing, I have a few dresses which make me feel like this. Such a lovely feeling.

The basic dress needs the sleeves and skirt hems to be finished properly but I’m still deciding if I want this to be part of an embroidery element. I think I probably do ? I’d also like to tidy up the seams (inside). Most of the seams have been French Seamed but the sleeves and waist are waiting to be given some bias binding. I think, this is today’s job. I like the inside to be as neat and perfect as I can make it. I’m going to buy an overlocker - it’s decided ! I’ve resisted a overlocker for years but I think I’m going to work towards creating a handmade wardrobe so it’s going to be worthwhile. The handmade wardrobe is an aspiration and will happen very slowly. I’m not about to give myself lots of pressure to deliver on this one. However, after a recent sort through my clothes, I’m hoping I can fill gaps with a handmade approach. 

However, back to my dress. It’s time to start working on my story for the dress. Read back on the blog for lots more about the concept of the Stitch Story. I’m planning to add hand embroidery elements throughout the dress. My theme is Friendship and I’m currently thinking about words and symbols I’d like to incorporate. My intention is to wear my dress, so this will guide me to embellish the dress accordingly. I like simple, uncluttered clothing so the embroidery needs to be subtle. I’m hoping I can be inspired to use the pattern on the indigo dyed bodice to tell me how to add embroidery. All parts of the dress are included for embroidery but I think most of the navy will get Navy embroidery I’m hoping to keep with a blues and white colour palette throughout. I may also create some polymer charms and buttons to embellish my embroidery. I’m going to keep an open mind about what I’m going to do. I’ll just go with ‘how I feel’ and what feels right.  Here’s a few images of the dress, before any embroidery.

                    

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment