Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 24 January 2019

Ready to wear

Hi Everyone 
My first handmade bra is complete and I’ve already worn it ! I’m super pleased with myself . Making my own lingerie is a key part of the handmade wardrobe dream, so it’s quite an achievement for me. I felt great walking around wearing the bra, no one knew but I had a big smile.
Having made the bra, it’s actually not that amazing ! However, I’m still very happy about my first attempt and I’ve already chosen my next bra make.

Generally, the bra is a good fit. There are slight imperfections in some of the sewing but most of my construction looks good. The size is good in terms of the chest measurement but there needs to be a very slight cup change. The cup size is slightly lopsided for my body shape. The front centre cups could do with being higher by a centimetre and the underarm section (of the cup) needs to be a centimetre smaller - so the whole cup could be in a slightly different position. This is quite a simple adjustment (I think ?). My next bra will be a slightly different construction with different pattern pieces and Im not sure if the same issues will prevail ? However, I will be aware of the fitting issues as I’m constructing the next bra. Here’s a quick look at the finished item :

                     

I was concerned that this bra design would not offer enough support but I’m very pleasantly surprised, although it doesn’t have any underwires there’s lots of elastic and lots of machine sewing which makes the bra quite a substantial item. All the bits and pieces eg clasps, different elastics, sliders etc. make the bra look very professional and quite pretty. All these bits and pieces came in a kit from here (a lovely Christmas gift) and extra notions are available from the same shop. My kit allows for one bra and a pair of knickers, so I will need more stuff to make my next bra. There’s enough fabric but I will needs the rings, clasps, elastic and sliders. I’ve started to source different fabrics for new bras but I’m very much about practicing at the moment and have lots of the original fabric available, probably enough to make quite a batch. I’ll share all the bras as they are made.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment