Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 22 January 2019

The Accidental Make

Hi Everyone 
Over the weekend, I found myself making a pair of trousers and seemed to have a piece of fabric leftover from the job. For some reason, the LB Pullover pattern presented itself and I suddenly knew, that I should make it. My accidental Make was born.

                     

There is a story behind this fabric. A few months ago, I acquired a bundle of fabric at a very, very low price. I had bought the bundle specifically for a stretch tartan jersey fabric and along with several other fabrics this striped stretch crepe-like piece came along. I was prepared for most of the bundle to be useless to me (I thought I would probably donate it to my local charity shop). However, all the items in the bundle are good and I’ve got an idea for them all.
Getting back to the Pullover, although I had enough fabric for the pattern - there were issues ! The print quality of the fabric is not brilliant !  In several places around the finished Pullover there are, sadly, visible faults. The issues are surface ink print rather than fabric quality problems. I tried, for some time, to position my pattern pieces avoiding the fabric faults but this was not possible. I also wanted to use the direction of the stripes to add a design feature and decided to just go for the best directional position, for the pieces.
My solution is to use a form of visible repair. I like the idea of visible repair and have been re-reading Tom of Holland recently. You can read all about his work here. My plan is to identify all the spots (only five or so) and add a black bar of handing stitching to the pullover. The spots are in fairly prominent positions but are all very small. I love this idea and feel the whole Project has been a series of accidents, from acquiring the fabric in the first place to ending up with a pullover with my visible mending opportunities. Brilliant.
I have the trousers, ready for final fitting and will talk about them next week. I’m not sure I’ll be wearing both the sweater and the trousers together (perhaps it would be too much ? ) although maybe with a longline T-shirt or similar ? I’ve had a few ideas, already.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment