Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 2 January 2019

Happy New Sewing

Hi Everyone 
Happy New Year to everyone. Hope you all had a good week or so, since my last post. I’ve had a lovely Christmas break and am inspired and invigorated, I think ! I seem to have spent lots of time eating (plus making meals) and sitting around with family and friends as well a little bit of Making. Breaking news - I also received lots of lovely Christmas gifts (mostly Making things) and will be sharing each one over the next few weeks.

One very exciting bit of news, I managed to make my red corduroy skirt (almost). The skirt is the same one from my Harrogate posts - day 5. You can read all about it here. I still need to finish the hem, this will be machine stitched with a double needles so it’s a very quick job. I’m also going to add a couple of Bar Tacks to each of the skirt pleats, again quite a quick job. My only stumbling point is - what length do I want to make it ? I need to try on the skirt with a few different pairs of shoes. I’ll probably wear my skirt with flat boots but I’d also occasionally like to wear heels. I think, I’m going for a  mid shin length ?

                  

I started by drafting a pattern and only needed to make one change, a single adjustment at the side width of the skirt, so that worked out very well. The skirt pattern has only four pieces. A front, back, waistband and pockets. I’ve developed four, 6 cm. pleats on the front and back of the skirt and added side seam pockets. The waist band is made from a light weight jersey fabric, turned over with a piece of 1inch elastic. The waist band is attached to the corduroy with my overlocker. The idea is to turn over the waistband to give a snug fit. I love the result. It’s a very comfortable fit and the corduroy gives the skirt ‘volume’. I feel very ‘fancy’ in my new skirt, sort of dressed up but not ! I’ll take some photos of the skirt in action, when I’ve  completed the extra details.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with another Making story.



No comments:

Post a Comment