Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 26 April 2019

Knitting Socks

Hi Everyone 
I’ve a little sock knitting update story today. I talked about the Molly sock a few days ago, you can read about it here. I had made a bit of a mess of the colourwork as well as completely ruined the short row Heel. The sock was frogged and I started again. This time, I’ve knitted the colourwork inside out and have had more success. I’ve done this before and suddenly decided this approach could help. It’s not brilliant but I think, it’s better ?

                   
I have a tendency to knit tightly (at all times) and I need to concentrate on finding a way of changing my technique. I’ve also decided to make a Heel with a flap this time instead of the short row Heel. Again, it’s my poor technique which lets me down with the short row style. I know, I can knit a very neat Heel with a flap. I’d like to eliminate any chance of a hole in the heel knitting and the Heel with a flap is, the one for me. I would like to conquer the short row Heel technique but not for this sock, there are too many other issues. Other than my poor technique, I love the Molly sock. The colours are subtle but very pretty and the colourwork pattern is quite striking. I’m back to where I was at the beginning of the week, so all is good !
My other sock on the needles is a new pair of Men’s socks. I’m using my own simple sock pattern, which I’ve called the pattern Miss Mitchell’s Garden Socks. This time, I’ve graded up the numbers and am using Tuku Wool in Color 162 which is lots thicker than my usual sock yarn. This yarn is a lovely rich Rust colour. I’ve been testing out gauge and I think, I’m there. I’ve gone up a few needle sizes from my usual 2.00/2.25mm to a 3mm and will see how we go. I will use these socks for general, communal knitting, no real thought needs to go into the pattern, just simple knitting. I’ll add an afterthought heel. I may add a lifeline strand (of yarn)where I want to place the heel, this makes life very easy when I need to add the heel later. I’ve started at the cuff so these socks will be a top down. I’m going to call this version of my pattern Mr Mitchell’s Garden Socks. My knitting size will fit a 9/10 UK size foot.
That’s about it for current sock knitting. 
Have a lovely weekend. I’ll be back on Monday with more Making news.




No comments:

Post a Comment