Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 29 May 2019

The Jeans Saga

Hi Everyone 
As predicted, I’ve run into big problems with my new jeans project. You can read about the idea here. Everything was going well and then, during the first fit, things changed ! I mentioned in my previous post, the issue of a high waist pattern design. A high waist was never going to work for me, I have a very short upper body so I knew I would need to alter the fit. However, the first fit placed the front pocket section almost under my arms. The back waist section also didn’t work, I had a different waist profile and found the pleat section simply sticking out. So, I knew the waist section would need to change. 

                  
Because of the construction order of the original jeans pattern, Palo Jeans by Named, I had completed quite a significant section of the Make. I found myself undoing lots of the seams and recut the legs. The waist area, especially the pockets caused the majority of the issues and it was back to the drawing board !
Eventually, my solution is to recut the front and back of the jeans using my Morgan jeans by Closet Case Patterns as a guide. The denim pieces don’t quite measure up to the new lines so I’ll adapt what I’ve got and add sections where necessary. The key is to get the waist working and everything else will fit into my design. 
One of the main points of this Make was to give me a blank canvas for the Sashiko embroidery idea. Read about this here. The new design will be perfect because there are so many different pieces of denim working to give me the final shape of the jeans. Each separate piece of denim will be an opportunity for an interesting section of Sashiko. 
I’m almost at the recut stage - a little more unpicking to do. I have my new pattern ready and will recut the waist pieces later today. Watch this space- it could take more time than I had initially anticipated. It’s quite an interesting process, I’m still enthusiastic !

Thanks for calling in today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment