Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 9 May 2019

Summer Top - ready to wear.

Hi Everyone 
I managed to complete the Summer Top yesterday, started at the weekend. You can check out my initial post of this Make here This is my most successful Make using the 5752 Butterick pattern. I’ve made several of these tops/nightdresses, so have a bit of experience.


                     

The ruffle edge is the most challenging element of the Make, probably the only one ! Most of the sewing is very straightforward but adding the ruffle can be tricky. Alongside the ruffle piece there’s a bias binding backing to the edge of the ruffle, finishing the edge - beautifully. It’s important to line everything up and get the gathers just right. My previous Makes with this pattern have all involved using self made bias binding. However, I’ve never had quite enough fabric to cut the lengths of binding on the bias. As a result, the previous bindings didn’t have the stretch required to sew around the curved edges. This time, even though, I was  struggling for fabric - I managed to produce the real thing. What a difference ! So much easier to use. The other very satisfying element of this Make is the French Seams, throughout. I love French Seams. The pattern instructions don’t require French Seams, (it’s my choice) but perfect for the job.

I acquired the fabric for this project via a Sew Hayley Jane subscription box, check her out here. I wouldn’t have chosen the fabric myself, which is what the Box is about (for me) but I do love it as the top. The colours are lovely and the fabric works really well for this Top. I had only 1m of fabric and at one point wasn’t sure if I could get the top out of 1m. I needed to be creative and added a section on the back piece of the pattern, you can just see the seam line in my photo story (top left). With hindsight, this was exactly right for the Make. This additional section is an absolute success and adds a very nice detail to the back, it also gives the back a little more structure.

I can’t wait to wear my new top, needs an iron first ! I’m hoping the weather improves soon. When that happens, I’ll get some photos of me wearing the top.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment