Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 17 May 2019

Making Fish

Hi Everyone 
I spent a lovely afternoon earlier this week making fish !

                 

This little kit came from an issue of Mollie Makes, many issues back ! I love the idea of fabric fish and have been thinking about making these little fish (sardines) for quite some time. The time has arrived. My plan for the fish is to use them for a display in my kitchen. I want to hang my fish alongside a range of others, collected over many years, for brightening up various corners of the room.

I’ve chosen blue coloured scraps of fabric for my fish rather than the fabric in the mini kit. So far, I’ve only completed one single fish but have cut out all three. I’m now considering making a few more to hang around the place. The fish in the kit are designed to be a keyring. My fish will simply hang together via waxed cotton strings and look pretty on a hook.

I’ve started the Make by producing a series of templates from card, I’m simply drawing around the card giving me my fish shapes. Each fish requires two shapes which are sewn together and stuffed. A couple of buttons or beads are added for eyes. The hanging cord is sewn into the fish during the initial sewing phase. That’s about it ! Simple but effective.

My first couple of fish have been hand sewn but I’ll machine sew the rest - simply to speed up the job. The construction can be slightly tricky because of the small size (thinness) of the fish and keeping the right shape, especially the head and tail. When all the elements come together, the fish look great. If they are out of shape and over stuffed - not so good. I may, enlarge - only slightly, the size of my next batch ? I’ll do a bit of experimenting. Hopefully, the fish will be ready and in place within the week.

Thanks for calling in today.
Have a great weekend, I’ll be back on Monday with more Making stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment