Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 5 June 2019

The Jeans Story

Hi Everyone 
I have another Jeans Story update. Against all the odds, it seems I have a pair of recognisable jeans. The jeans need a waistband and some significant side seam top stitching but they are almost a pair of jeans. The most amazing thing is that they fit. I’m using these jeans as a wearable toile and there will be further alterations for my next pair but generally- they are OK and definitely wearable.

                

I can’t emphasise how good the pattern has turned out. This pattern - the Morgan Jeans by Closet Case has been a dream to use. I was slightly concerned, early in the Make, about the pattern. I managed to sew the wrong pocket lining to the wrong front leg ! Looking back, it was entirely down to my misreading. I was having some problem recognising the key - which denotes the particular fabric to be used as well as the front or back of each fabric. Having got over that initial hiccup, every little instruction has been straightforward and very clear. Both reassuring and inspiring.

I have adapted the fit on the waist and will probably need to make further waist changes next time. My only issue with fit, seems to be the grading between the hip and waist. I may need to adapt the stitching line on the back seat, further. The difference between my waist size and hip size is significant. I’m hoping to attach the waistband today. My plan is to line the waistband with the same pocket lining fabric. I love this lining fabric, it works so well with the denim.

When I started this project, my aim was to make a pair of jeans that could lend itself to be decorated with Sashiko embroidery, you can read about the initial idea here. I pieced lots of sections of denim together on the front legs, to add my Sashiko patterns. My plan is to do this over a period of time. I will wear the jeans and plan each Sashiko element, one section at a time. I like the idea of wearing my evolving piece.
Hopefully, I can spend some time today adding my waistband. I’ll share progress tomorrow.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment