Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 10 February 2020

Boxy T Shirt News

Hi Everyone 
Last week I introduced a couple of examples of the Boxy T Shirt project. You can check out my original posts here and here. I’d already completed the basic construction of the first woven, blue sample and was about to start a stretch version in a green and white stripe ( more about version 2 tomorrow). I’m almost done with both. There have been a few issues ! I made quite a few changes to the pattern for both T Shirts. The blue version was recut in a few significant places, the neck and the sleeves needed to be changed, quite dramatically but I’ve finally managed a reasonably good fit. One of the optional features of this version of the Boxy T Shirt is a folded ribbon detail. This attracted me to make the T Shirt in the first place, so quite an important feature for me. So, I’m there - I have all the ribbon sewn in place and only need to remove the basing stitches.

     

I’m happy with the results of this project. I adapted the methods suggested in the pattern instructions for getting the ribbon onto the T Shirt, it looks a very simple task. However, not the case ! The instructions from Makers Atelier suggested ironing the folds and applying directly onto the T Shirt. I found this very difficult. I tried a few different approaches and produced a few samples (see my final sample method top left image). Eventually, I worked out a method of folding, pinning and basting to the final position. I then, used my sewing machine to attach to the T Shirt with a single, straight stitch down the centre of the folded ribbon. The result is quite dramatic. I wanted to achieve random folds (of the ribbon), again not as easy as it sounds ! 
The T Shirt is a very simple design but I like the fabric choice, the colour is a wonderful blue and the folded ribbon is the stand out feature. It looks quite dramatic but very simple. I feel the top can be dressed up or down to suit many different occasions. I can’t wait to get the final basting stitches out so I can wear my T Shirt. I’ll get some images of me wearing the garment later in the week.

Thanks for calling in today.




No comments:

Post a Comment