Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 3 February 2020

Sewing Update

Hi Everyone 
I introduced the idea of making something from a lovely blue silky fabric last week, check out the plan here. I had a couple of options which you can see in my plan. In the end, I opted for the Boxy T shirt by Makers Atelier. However, all was not straightforward. Although the Boxy T Shirt is designed for both stretch and woven fabric, I didn’t look at the finished garment measurements close enough. As a result, the first T shirt didn’t fit. I had ignored the advice about measuring my biceps. The arms were very tight and no good at all. The neck opening was also much too small, I have a very small head and the T shirt would not go over my head. Not sure how that happened ? The length was also a bit on the short side (if finished in the way the pattern suggests). Generally, a disaster ! So, Plan B was required. I knew, I could resurrect the project.

My new plan involved recutting  a set of sleeves, I reshaped the original neckline and added a section to the bottom of the front. The pattern has a lovely deep hem which finishes around 5cm shorter on the front piece. I love the design idea but for my T shirt it wasn’t working. 
I wanted to add a folded ribbon feature around the sleeves, bottom hem and neckline. This was the main design characteristic which had drawn me to the design. Take a look at the link above to see how this detail should look.

           

My second attempt turned out well. The T shirt fits beautifully and I’m ready to add the ribbon trim. Hopefully, I’ll have some time later today, to complete the project. 
I will make this T shirt again, using a stretch fabric. This time, I will check all the measurements carefully. I have some lovely green and white stripe fabric which I have in my stash. I’m hoping I have enough ! I will check out the plan as soon as possible. 

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment