Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 5 February 2020

Sock Talk

Hi Everyone 
My story today is all about socks. I (almost) always have a pair of socks on my needles. At the moment, I have five pairs ! There are 3 pairs which are being repaired - a couple of new ribs (holes), a new toe (it has a hole) and I’ve changed the top of one pair to a rib. I did have a lovely sock cuff in the style of a traditional fair isle cuff. You can check out the style here. Although the sock cuff looked great, the lack of stretch didn’t work too well. I’ve decided to make a new plain, 2x2 rib and the socks fit much better. I still have more work to complete my repairs but the socks look like new, with very little effort. I will certainly, do this again. I have a few more pairs which could get new coloured heels and toes, very soon.

             

I’m also still knitting some blue socks to use up a leftover batch of memade yarn. This yarn has been spun and dyed for a sweater and there’s still more to use. I’ve knitted a toe up sock, I’ll add an afterthought heel and am now into knitting a cuff with my memade yarn. My plan is to produce a deep turn over cuff. Everything is working well at the moment, although - I have taken a while to get the right tension (where the change in yarn happens) for the cuff. I’ll share images of my work when completed.

My last sock story is about a new (to me) sock yarn from Denmark. The yarn is from hobbi and called Dots. It’s a 100gm, standard sock yarn. I’ve  seen this yarn knitted up and it does produce dots. My colour is 03 and is a series of faded pinks with purple spots. I think, I’ll go for a very simple, plain sock and allow the dots to ‘pop’.

So, lots to keep me busy. My approach is to work on a separate pair each day for a short part of my knitting time. The repair jobs are quick and I’m almost there. I have a second blue sock to complete (top left photo) and then, I’ll get to the dots sock.

Thanks for calling in today.



No comments:

Post a Comment