Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 12 February 2020

Fabric Design

Hi Everyone 
I’m talking about fabric design today.
I’ve dabbled in fabric design a few times and have a number of my designs on fabric, particularly my Miss Mitchell designs. My latest experiments with fabric design have come to the stage where I need to make some decisions about where to go next. Ive been working with more abstract designs and have produced a number of acrylic prints, which appeal to me for dress fabric. I‘ve narrowed down a selection of two designs and now need to decide on the type of fabric I’d like to go for.

            

As you see from my photo story, I have two pieces which are framed and on the walls (top right and left). I’m especially drawn to the design (bottom right). These colours are muted blues and browns, I love the combination and can see a dress in this fabric. However, I also like the yellow/mustard tones of the alternative (bottom left). Both framed pieces are in my eye-line everyday and has prompted me to move on this idea.
Custom printing with fabric is quite an expensive thing, so I want to be sure about which fabric and how much money I want to invest in this project. Initially, I was thinking about a cotton jersey and a tunic of some sort ? However, I’m now moving towards a cotton lawn and a dress, possibly lined ? I think, I need to acquire a few swatches before making my final decision. 
I’m also looking for a suitable dress pattern. I want to be sure about my decision before committing to the fabric run. I’m hoping, I can complete my research over the next week or so. I’ll let you know how I my decisions go.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment