Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 17 February 2020

Sewing Project (part 1)

Hi Everyone 
I have a new sewing project to share today. I started the Merchant&Mills Fielder Dress over the weekend and am well into the process. This project is one of my Christmas presents and it’s been patiently waiting for me to get going. I cut out all the pieces, sleeves, front, back and pockets with elastic cuff and neckline, not too complicated ! The front has a couple of bust darts and the back has no fitting. The sleeves do have some lovely shaping over the top of the arm part, using quite a deep dart. This gives a very nice line to the top of the dress. The sleeves fit into the neckline with a raglan style design. Generally, the dress is elegant but very simple.
I’m using something called Double Gauze Revolver fabric in a Mustard colour, again from Merchant&Mills. The fabric is beautiful to work with and I love the colour. The fabric is woven and I did wonder how to cut my dress, regarding the fit ? In the end, I cut a size 10 top section and graded out to a 14 below the pockets. I knew there would be no give in the fabric so didn’t want the hip line to be very tight. As it turned out, the 12 would have been enough and I ended up taking in the bottom part of the dress. I basted all the bits together before overlocking the seams.  The initial fitting was perfect and I’m amazed at how good the fit was. I tend to err on the side of caution with sizing and often make a garment which is much too big, often disregarding all the finished garment measurements ! However, on this occasion, everything turned out well.

                 

I’ve got quite a bit of the project completed. The front, back and sleeves are all attached, I’ve added pockets to the sides seams and attached the neck rib. My next job is to sew the sleeve and side seams (including the pockets) to complete the main garment. 
Tomorrow, Ill share the detail of the neck band and sleeve cuffs - if I can find some time to work on my project today ?

Thanks for calling in today.






No comments:

Post a Comment