Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 4 February 2019

Button Hole Dilemma

Hi Everyone 
I’m sharing the results of my mustard pleated cord skirt today. The main part of the skirt has been completed for a week or so but I’ve had a huge dilemma with the waistband closure plan. The skirt is simple in construction and relies on some kind of hook or button closure on each side of the skirt waistband. A pocket is formed on each side, when the skirt is closed. It’s a great design idea. 
However, I couldn’t decide on the best way to close my skirt. Initial attempts to form button holes caused a few problems. I was struggling to get the waistband under the foot of my sewing machine and as a result, the actual stitches looked very messy. I also tested a hook and bar clasp but it didn’t quite give the fit I wanted.
I practiced lots of button holes on scrap fabric, quite a few on the machine and several by hand. Eventually, I went for the machine approach.

                   
I used a contrasting thread with my practice holes to highlight where the problems occurred. Most of the issues were caused by needing to go through at least four layers of quite thick fabric. I was also very apprehensive about the button hole placement. If I didn’t get the button holes exactly in the right place, my skirt waistband would not fit and the pockets wouldn’t lie in the right place. The whole skirt design depends, totally, on the precision of the button position ! 

                 
Finally, after lots of procrastination, the button holes are done and the buttons are stitched in place. The skirt is now complete. I’ll share a few additional photos tomorrow showing more details of the completed item.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment