Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 28 February 2019

Knitting News

Hi Everyone 
I’m almost finished my latest garment project, the Carbeth Cardigan. This has been a great knit, quite a quick result too. I’m not into quick knitting, generally. I find putting a deadline on a knitting project especially a quick one, is super stressful and completely contradicts my relationship with knitting. Knitting for me is relaxing and something I tend to do in the evenings, as a treat each day. It’s about time for winding down and enjoying the feel of the activity. Having said that, the Carbeth has knitted up very quickly and almost (surprisingly) magical. The sleeves did give me some grief- I needed to add quite a bit extra as per the measurements on the pattern re the underarm to wrist measurement. With hindsight, I was a bit out, re my understanding of where I should measure from ? I wasn’t fully aware of the exact finished shape of the cardigan and how it fits ie to the armpit point. I read as many Ravelry reviews as possible on the subject and there were mixed messages. However, All is well, but I could have left a few centimetres off the sleeves.

                 

The cardigan is slightly big for me. The length is good, I was able to measure exactly where the cardigan would end (the pattern is a bottom up design). The body could be a little smaller but it will be fine. If, I knitted a second Carbeth, I would go down a size. There’s a strong possibility.
The pattern works beautifully, the shaping from the yolk is very satisfying, as is the collar and button bands. I did enjoy this project.

When it came to buttons, I knew I wanted some special buttons. I’ve ended up, making some lovely flower shaped buttons and I’m happy with how they have turned out. I made the buttons from polymer clay. I didn’t have the specific colour in my stash. I spent lots of time mixing clay to get to the right shades. The grey colour is very much a blue/grey and has several tones of blue. Hopefully, the buttons will work well with my knit. I’ve polished the buttons to a soft sheen and they are waiting to be attached.

I need to sew in all the ends and block the cardigan as well as add my buttons. All very pleasing news.

Thanks for calling today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday with more Making news.


No comments:

Post a Comment