Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 20 February 2019

PJ’s to be

Hi Everyone 
I’m a bit late posting today ! I had planned to get up and get straight into my pj making. See my PJ plan here. However, I’ve been distracted by watching one of my favourite YouTubers (Rachel from Stitched Up). She has just made a few lovely T shirts for a pattern designed by Named. I love their stuff and Rachel’s T shirt was something (I knew) would be great in my wardrobe for warmer days or for layering. So, I had to download the pattern and put it together - hence forgetting/delaying everything else ! I will get back to the T shirt later in the week.

Anyway, back to the PJ project. I spent lots of time yesterday, messing around with my sewing. Generally, it’s a straightforward make. Amazingly, I managed to mess up some little pleats on the front. In theory, a very simple start to the make. One of the pleats was wider than the others and instead of taking time to check, I altered one and the rest were out. After re doing the whole thing, the pleats were in the place they needed to be. 
I also decided to use French seams because that’s what quality night wear needs ! (little voice from my Tailor grandmother in my head). That went well. I’d read through the pattern to check this would work and it did.
My next issue was a gathered, ruffle neckline. The idea in the pattern is to add the ruffle to stand up from the neckline behind an eyelet lace band, threaded with ribbon. My first problem was not having picked this up from the pattern ! I didn’t have eyelet lace. I spent ages looking for it and also trying to find very narrow ribbon (correct colour) to thread through. Having wasted most of the morning, I looked again and thought I wasn’t that keen on the eyelet lace with threaded ribbon - why did I think I would be ?  I quite liked the eyelet lace look but not the ribbon. My fabric is quite traditional/pretty nightwear and the lace adds to this look. So plan B. I’ve ordered some eyelet lace and will either thread with self made ribbon (from the main fabric) or leave as lace without threading. I decided this embellishment could be added at the end so no problem there.

             


My next issue was about the gathering process for the ruffle. Initially, I did a hand gathered job and thought it looked unprofessional so pulled it all out (good hours work) and used the machine to gather. The gathers are lovely. Very pleased with that bit. The PJ top looks pretty and fits beautifully but "........... I’m still unsure about how to finish off the gathered ruffle. The pattern incorporates this eyelet lace element and uses bias binding. I’m at the stage where I need to decide. I had decided to make my own bias binding, so will do that next. The armholes also use the same finishing technique so whatever my decision is, it will serve both neckline and armhole.
I’ll share the final stage of my adventure tomorrow.
Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment