Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 30 March 2020

Birthday Stories

Hi Everyone 
I’d like to share a few lovely stories from my birthday on Saturday (28/3/20). It was a very strange birthday and one that I will remember forever. Obviously, because of the Coronavirus issues my usual day out somewhere, wasn’t going to happen. We are in ‘lockdown’ and only go out once each week for food other than a daily (20/30min.)walk from our house. 

A few months ago, we had a long term plan to go to Edinburgh for the day. I love Edinburgh and it’s a regular celebration visit for our family. We love the galleries and have a number of shops and favourite cafes that we visit. However, this wasn’t going to happen this year. So, what was I to do ? I was determined to celebrate somehow.

Sadly, when I woke up, it was raining (that wasn’t in the plan) and I had thought about a walk followed by breakfast (part of our daily exercise). We live in a beautiful part of the UK and there are lots of very pretty walks from our house. I’d chosen a walk through a wooded glade, along the river. Lovely idea and perfect for a birthday treat. However, the rain didn’t encourage my husband and I out. My sons were a ‘no show’ re this idea. We decided on breakfast first and then our walk. This worked our well. The rain stopped and our walk was lovely. Somehow, more special because we are living through such a difficult time. My senses seem to be working on a hypersensitive level, so smells and views were enhanced.

I was given some lovely gifts, very special things that have been on a wish list for a long time. I’ll share and enjoy talking about the details over the next few days. My favourite gift was three lovely handmade cards from my husband and sons. My boys are grown up and haven’t made cards for many years, the fact that they had made the cards was so lovely. They are great and reflect their personalities, perfectly. They all have thought about the messages and the decoration and have got it just right. I will keep them always.

My third extra special thing was a What’s App birthday song with my Dad, brothers, husband and boys. We organised a time to call and share the screen with a four way video call. My Dad even managed a Happy Birthday accompaniment before blowing out the candles on my birthday cake. So special. I wasn’t sure we could actually make a cake because we couldn’t buy any flour. However, I found a recipe which didn’t need too much flour, we had around 80gm in the cupboard. The recipe is an orange/almond cake with an orange glaze. I even managed a few candles. Unfortunately, the cake was only enjoyed by my immediate household family. When all this is over, I’m going to make the cake again and we can all enjoy it together in one place.

           

The cake has been eaten and my flowers have withered. However, I will remember all the experiences and have my special cards.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with more birthday stories. 
Keep safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment