Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 9 March 2020

The Scraps Project

Hi Everyone 
I introduced something I’m calling The Scraps Project on Friday - read back for more on this story. In summary, this is a project which will use up leftover scraps of fabric to make useable items. 
My first Make is a sample scrunchie for my hair. I have several scrunchies which (I feel) are a little big, slightly too wide. I have resized the width of my first sample and I think, this is the size I like. I’m testing out the first scrunchie and will check how things work out. If this is a good fit for me, in a day or so, I’ll make a few more scrunchies. 
I’ve made a photo story, showing the process I’ve used to make my first scrunchie. Here’s it is :

       

        

The 8 steps I’ve shown in my photo story, show how simple this project is. My fabric piece (1) measure 24cm x 7cm. I folded over the fabric length wise (2) with right sides facing each other and turned one end of the fabric over by about 1cm (3). The next step (4) is to machine the length of the folded fabric. Number (5) shows the sewn strip of fabric. Next (6) is to turn out the fabric, seam to be inside. I threaded the elastic (1/4ins. x 9cms piece) through my sewn tube and used my machine to stitch the elastic together. The last job was to slip the unfinished end of my fabric tube into the turned over end (see photo 3 step, previously prepared). I used my machine to sew over the join but you could hand finish the join. When the scrunchie is worn, you can’t see the seam at all.
Generally, this is a very simple project. I like the idea of making a scrunchie of exactly the right size and using a specific fabric to wear with a particular outfit. I’ll definitely be making more.

Thanks for calling in today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment